Books to read aloud (to girls?)

toptenbooks

The Independant online has published the “The Ten Best: Books to read aloud” compiled by children’s author Jacqueline Wilson. This is a list based on her personal childhood favourites and the books which she enjoyed reading most to her own daughter – which might explain why almost all ten books have female protagonists and related themes. Perhaps I should have titled this post: “a good, girly read.” as Wilson describes one of her selection. However, it’s a good list, but one which I think lacks a little in gender balance and might not suit every family.

For our family it’s a list I will print off and keep – Several of my all-time favourites have made the list including Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban and Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit. Where The Wild Things Are is an obvious choice and one we relish reading when AJ chooses it for story time (and looky! A boy!). I also want to make sure we get a copy of Nancy and Plum by B Macdonald which sounds exciting for 6 years plus – “It’s a story about two sisters who run away from an orphanage and for young girls, it has everything going for it. There are wonderful descriptions of clothes, dolls and girls’ friendships and an adventure.”
(via Read Alert)

8 Responses to “Books to read aloud (to girls?)”

1. jesser

My parents read us loads of great books while we were growing up. When we were little it was Where the Wild Things Are and In the Night Kitchen by Sendak and Boy Were they Ever Happy and Bored Nothing to Do by Peter Spier. But as we got older … 6 or so … we’d read “chapter books.” We started with Little House on the Prarie (that whole series) and did the Anne (of Green Gables) books and Girl of the Limberlost and many more. I know my sis and I both still treasure those times with our parents and love those books … and reading in general.

2. toyfoto

I love reading “Where the Wild Things Are” to my daughter. She’s two and she “reads” along with me now. Although, I have to say our all-time favorite book was “Homemade Love,” by bell hooks. A lovely, poetic story.

3. Emily

My little girl and I LOVE “Room on the Broom” which I think is the best of the Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler (of “Gruffalo” fame) books! It’s so much fun to read and my 2 year old sometimes recites 2 or three pages of it out of the blue!

4. Simmy Bains

I don’t really like Jaqueline Wilson’s books but I was impressed with her choice of titles. My daughter (12) has read most of these. I have two boys (6 and 9) and their favourites are Dr Dolittle, any of the adventure stories by Enid Blyton, the Jennings series, Finn Family Moomintroll – I could go on as we love books in our family. My six year old is currently into Bobby Brewster. I was never read to as a child (parents couldn’t speak or read English) but as soon as I joined the library I was off and I must have read everything ten times over. As someone once said to me ‘books are gateways to a magic world where you can be anything you want to be’.

5. leah

but theres not many books that girls can relate to. all the classic are about princesses

6. SF Mom of One

I am completely with Wilson on “Nancy and Plum.” It’s a relatively obscure book, but my daughter (age 8 ) loves it as much as I did at her age.
    The author, Betty McDonald, did her writing from the Pacific Northwest, where I grew up. For grown ups, try “The Egg and I.”

I wrote about it in my own blog, too. If you will indulge my posting a link:

I disagree with Leah about books girls can relate to. Here are 3 off the top of my head that my daughter (age 8 ) has loved–over several years, so they are “keepers.”

“Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.” An early favorite of hers and it reads really well out loud. What I love is Alice’s persistence in using logic to reason her way home. (and of course the author was a logician by profession)

“The Little Princess.” Yeah, but she isn’t REALLY a princess. It’s an ironic title given to Sara Crewe when she acts regally even when she is poor and mistreated. This girl is very very smart.

“Aunt Harriet’s Underground Railroad.” A young girl takes a dream-like journey through the Underground Railroad route, with Harriet Tubman’s advice to guide her through. Beautiful illustrations and real bravery displayed by many women in the story.

7. Mami Delux » Kiddley - actividades para niños

[...] Se llama Kiddley y es un blog dedicado a los niños…..o mejor dicho, el blog esta dirigido a los padres de los niños ya que la idea es compartir enlaces educacionales, al igual que proyectos creativos y manualidades fáciles de hacer en casa. El blog, que aún tiene pocas entradas pero que promete cosas muy interesantes, nos cuenta por ejemplo, como hacer muñecos con unas papas, como crecer una mata de piña desde la fruta, nos recomienda algunas lecturas infantiles y algunas recetas para cocinar en familia. [...]

8. Andrea

I would like to say how beautiful your baby girl is!!! Congrats!!!Enjoy every crazy second of it!!! Andrea