Playdough Accoutrements

If you have a child who loves playdough, then it might be worth investing in some good playdough equipment.

Firstly, there’s Clay Play which includes four textured rolling pins, one smooth rolling pin, four patterned clay mallets, four double-ended wooden modeling tools, a rolling wheel cutter and six sticks of modeling clay – international shipping from the US is available over the phone. (via mighty goods)

clayplay

And you could also indulge the junior cookie maker with a set of 100 plastic cookie cutters which includes numbers, letters, geometric forms, animals, plants, vehicles, seasonal shapes and other miscellaneous goodnessplasticcookiecutters

But of course, there is always the el-cheapo version which we go for around here — buttons and matchsticks!

buttons and matchsticks

which are incredibly versatile. Here, for example, they are being used to help make a dog:

playdough dog

Uh-huh. And here they are being used to make an army of martians in battle with an army of Venusians:

martians and venusians

15 Responses to “Playdough Accoutrements”

1. Zoe

Hi Kiddley,

Have you (or other readers) a good recipe for home-made play dough?

All the best,

Zoe

2. Jo

Zoe
    When my daughter was at kindergarten, they used this recipe, to be made in a MICROWAVE.
    1 cup of salt
    2 cups of plain flour
    4 tbsps of cream of tartar
    Add
    2 cups of tepid water
    2 tbsps of oil (vegetable or olive is good)
    colouring
    Stir together and cook in microwave, kneading or stirring every 2 minutes until it comes away from the sides of the container. Remove and knead well.
    Then Enjoy!

3. jackie

1/2 cup of salt
    1 cup of flour
    1 Tablespoon of cream of tartar
    1 Tablespoon of oil
    1 cup of water
    food coloring or a packet of unsweetened bright colored Kool Aid powder

Combine ingredients in a pan. Heat very gently, stirring the whole time. Warm until a good texture- if too goopy, add a tiny bit more flour. Let cool- and voila! Store in a plastic container in the fridge. Will keep for a while.
    You can also add a little sprinkle of glitter to make it fancy…

4. Angelique

Great ideas, Claire!

Hi Zoe, I have a basic recipe I used several months back for some homemade, cooked play dough. I admit to just eye-balling stuff, and modify the recipe as I go along (i.e., adding more drops of color to intensify it, or adding more flour if it’s too sticky, that sort of thing)

For one single (but good-sized ball) you’ll need: 1 cup of flour, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup of salt, 1 tbls of cream of tartar, 1 tbls veg oil, and some food coloring for colored clay

Cook everything (except flour) in a saucepan, over medium heat, until warmed. Remove from heat and stir in the flour. Once the mixture starts to stiffen and ball up, remove from pan and let it cool or if you can handle it start to knead it like you would bread dough. Voila! A ball of play dough.

I’ve been told that the cream of tartar extends the shelf life (up to 6 mo or more), so be sure to include it if you go the cooked dough path. I store the different colored dough in labelled (I put the date on it) plastic ziploc bags, and refrigerate the whole lot to keep it fresh. My 15mo old son loves to play with it!

p.s. I have a picture I added to the Kiddley flickr group if you want to see it.

5. Zoe

Thanks everyone who’s left a recipe – I shall try them out and hope to report back :-)

6. jenny vorwaller

hee heee!! those dogs are sooo cool. :)

we use the 100 cutters but also my 4 year old loves to rummage through my kitchen drawers and use ice cream scoops, veggie brushes (those hard things that you clean potato skin with), straws (inevitable dried dough inside) and kiddi scissors!

7. mollie

we’ve got the clay-play set and the only thing that doesn’t work well for preschoolers (boys only?) are those hammers! it’s just too tempting to beat on everyone or anyhthing in the proximity . . . and they hurt like the dickens . . .

sometimes, i get the box out and the hammers have “disappeared” (“disappeared! wow!” one exclaims, astonished . . .) and all is well.

maybe next year?

so happy to have stumbled onto this blog here. fantastic!

8. Hsien Lei

After marvelling at the creations, I started thinking about how it is to clean up. Must.Snap.Out.Of.Mom.Mode :D

9. Natalie

We have the 100 cookie cutters set too. Some of the cutters don’t work out too well with the Play-Doh though (heck, they don’t work well with cookie dough either!). Some of them don’t have large enough openings to pop the creations out. We’ve sorted out those and only use the wide-open cutters now.

10. Angela

YOu can also add food flavorings for scents, like vanilla and peppermint! Also certain types of glitter make an interesting addition for older children (who you’re sure aren’t going to be eating it! 8-o)

11. Zoe

Hello all,

Mathilde and I have now tried two of the playdough recipes – the one’s from Krista and Jo – and photos or the results are up on Flickr. We found Krista’s recipe easier and produced nice dough.

Given that I was making the dough with my little daughter I was a bit worried about having boiling water about (that’s why I tried Jo’s recipe using a microwave), but in the end Krista’s recipe was less fiddly (using the microwave involved several checks on whether the dough was ready), and the dough is lovely and elastic. The other dough ended up much drier (perhaps I overdid the microwave bit) and more like pastry than bread dough.

In the photos, the red dough is Krista’s and the blue dough is Jo’s.

Thanks again for all the recipes,

Zoe

12. rhonda mundy

Hi,

You can also get children to make their own play doh (uncooked). Same ingredients but texture slightly courser and doesn’t last long, but very good for children to be totally involved in the making.

Also for children with allergies it has been suggested that replacing flour with rice flour works well. You need to add more rice flour.

Cheers!

13. tulip

Great suggestions everyone!
    We made the dough from Jo’s recipe in the microwave and it worked out beautifully. We did 2 minute increments and only needed 4 minutes. I think the secret is making sure the ingredients are very well mixed before you start the heat. In under 20 minutes my gal was playing with her playdough for the first time!
    I also used 2 packets of grape Kool-aid for colour and smell.
    I’ll be posting a few pictures of ours on flickr: