Stephanie from Little Birds Handmade kindly sent us this seasonal craft
December 13th is Santa Lucia Day! You can read more about how Santa Lucia is celebrated in Scandinavia here. We decided to create our own versions of the candle crown traditionally worn by the eldest daughter as well as a star hat like those worn by boys in Santa Lucia processions.
You will need:
White card stock or heavy paper for crown and candles.
Green craft paper cut into leaf shapes (depending on the age of the child, you may want to cut out the leaf shapes ahead of time).
Red craft paper cut or punched into small circles for berries.
Orange/yellow craft paper cut into flame shapes.
Santa Lucia Crown
1. Cut a two inch wide strip of paper long enough to wrap around the child’s head. Have child glue leaf shapes to cover the crown and decorate with red berries.
2. Add glitter to flame shapes. Cut strips of white card stock as candles (we made six candles for our crown). Glue flame to candle and candles to crown.
3. Fit crown around head and fasten at back with glue or staples.
4. Play Santa Lucia!
Boy’s Lucia Procession Hat
1. Create a tall cone hat from white card stock. Glue or staple closed.
2. Cut star shaped from card stock and decorate with silver or gold glitter.
3. Glue stars to hat.
More Santa Lucia Links:
Happy Santa Lucia Day!